What is an Apostles Build?
- Churches come together to build a Habitat for Humanity house. Together they raise the funds to build a Habitat home—$70,000 and provide the labor and prayer support to build a house in partnership with a local family.
- The idea of going out into the community to serve others, in the way that Jesus’ apostles served, has attracted individuals in many churches. With Habitat for Humanity, churches can share God’s love by building houses.
The Church Provides
- Prayer—it’s very much appreciated when churches bathe all aspects of a Habitat build in prayer
- Communications—inviting the congregation to participate
- Volunteers—our Volunteer Manager takes care of all of the scheduling and managing of volunteers, and provides all that is needed on the build day
- Funding—we ask the churches to make a financial contribution (that can be paid off over a year) to cover the cost of construction
The Church Receives
- A concrete way to put their faith into action. An Apostles Build project calls people to leave the pews of the church and to serve in the way that the original apostles served. Working on this project allows people of faith to be the body of Christ in the world.
- Revitalization throughout the congregation. Some note that membership grows and that giving increases because people want to be a part of a vibrant church that reaches beyond itself. Churches often report that members get excited about other mission opportunities after working on a Habitat project.
- An effective way to engage Men’s groups, Young Professionals, College and Career groups, etc.
- An Apostles Build project also has the potential to build community among churches that have never worked together before. After being a part of this joint project, they may decide to worship together or to cooperate in other ministries.
- Publicity—there are many opportunities for churches to receive media exposure from Habitat’s media partners as well as opportunities to network in the community.
- Celebration—the opportunity for the entire church to be a part of the best part of Habitat—the home dedication where we gather to pray for the new homeowner and present them with a Bible and the key to their new home.
- Opportunities to be the feet and hands of Christ on International Habitat builds will be available
I am so grateful to the churches. They are like the 12 apostles who sat around the table with Jesus. My faith has grown so much. – Cindy Lind
The true success of an Apostles Build project is not only measured in houses built and churches united—the miracle occurs when God touches hearts like that of homeowner Cindy Lind who said, “I am so grateful to the churches. They are like the 12 apostles who sat around the table with Jesus. My faith has grown so much.”
Demonstrate the love of Jesus Christ. We undertake our work to demonstrate the love and teachings of Jesus, acting in all ways in accord with the belief that God’s love and grace abound for all, and that we must be “hands and feet” of that love and grace in our world. We believe that, through faith, the miniscule can be multiplied to accomplish the magnificent, and that, in faith, respectful relationships can grow among all people.
Support sustainable and transformational development. We view our work as successful when it transforms lives and promotes positive and lasting social, economic and spiritual change within a community; when it is based on mutual trust and fully shared accomplishment; and when it demonstrates responsible stewardship of all resources entrusted to us.
If you have any questions regarding the Apostles Build please contact Valerie at firstname.lastname@example.org.